Search This Blog

Friday, October 26, 2012

On Reality


Each generation offers its own interpretation of reality.  Each contributes bits of wisdom and pieces of confusion born of experience and imagination, observation and creativity, fact and fiction to the ever-accumulating puzzle that constitutes our shared reality.  The artist’s interpretation helps us to see from a different perspective, another angle, another dimension.  The scientist applies observations of the past and present to codify and document measurements in support of new applications and theories.  Combined, they help to define what is real.

Meanwhile, the seasons continue to change, the tides continue to ebb and flow, the sun continues to burn, the galaxies continue to spiral.



We seek meaning in that awesome puzzle through our unique experiential perspectives.  The moment passes and we turn to our wakes, contrails, footprints, and memories for understanding. 

We ask: 
Why did that happen?
What have I accomplished?
Were those good decisions?
Have I made a difference?
Why did I do that?
What was I thinking?
Who cares?
“How did I get here?”

Naturally, our individual perceptions temper all subsequent interpretations, but each individual construction of reality is by definition limited.  Not even by assimilating and deciphering all human perspectives could one completely comprehend this reality.  The overwhelming magnitude of the incomprehensible forces us to focus on the pieces we can grasp.  We empathize, we celebrate, we laugh, we love, and we engage in the dynamic process within which we’re all inextricably entwined.  We find meaning in these shared experiences and then we might ask: 
Who will I help?
How will I help?
What shall I do now?
Where will I go?
How will I do more?
How can I do better?

When I find meaning, I don’t ask why, I just bask in the glory of a clear mind, a passionate heart, and an active body.  I “just do it” with confidence.

Our reality is defined by the limits of our senses and our ability to manipulate the world around us to deepen and broaden that awareness.  The senses filter our perception to a finite suite of inputs that we have the capacity to assimilate and apply.  Most of us do not understand the spiritual or psychic dimensions of reality so, despite evidence and intuition of their power and importance, we focus on the material plane of existence – objects, experiences, places, and feelings.  With the aid of technology, we augment our limited human perceptions with subatomic, intergalactic, and mathematical explanations.

Is a subatomic particle real to me?  No.  Quarks and such are abstractions that are "real" to Fritjof Capra and his ilk (although he's noted that "subatomic particle do not exist but rather show 'tendencies to exist,' and atomic events do not occur with certainty at definite times and in definite ways, but rather show 'tendencies to occur.'" (The Tao of Physics)

Well then, how about the Horsehead Nebula?  Sure – we’ve seen the photos:


There it is, thanks to the Hubble Telescope for us all to see.  It’s out there in the cosmos and a part of our vernacular along with quasars and supernovae.  And, they influence our world by simply being a part of it – by being pieces of that multi-dimensional puzzle we build moment by moment, day by day from the myriad fragments, tidbits, and morsels that we stumble across, intentionally seek out, or have thrust upon us day in and day out. 

How are you interpreting this reality?  What pieces do you fit into your puzzle today?  Do you collect them through song, dance, athletic achievement, innovation, discovery, love or pain, through cooperation or competition?  What lens do you use? 

I find meaning in the laughter of my children, the caress of my wife, a hug from my mother, the memory of my father.  These provide sustenance and are indeed real and essential ingredients of my reality.

I experience the breath of cool autumn wind on my cheek, the ache of sore muscles after a bike ride, the aroma of hot coffee in the morning, the smell of freshly cut grass in the summer, the squeak of sub-zero snow under foot, the bliss of freshly-baked Christmas stöllen in my mouth.

I find meaning in the balance of night and day; the aging of my children; the graying of my mother’s hair; the spreading of the oak tree’s branches; the deterioration of my driveway’s concrete; the release of a Frisbee from my fingertips and its graceful arc to the hands of my running friend; the warmth of my child’s embrace and the ache in my throat that missing it produces.



What trajectory will your life follow?  What echoes will your life reflect?  Will they be consonant or dissonant?  Yes.

Will they reinforce or cancel?  Yes.

Will they produce cheer or dread?  Sorry to say, yes – even a saint crushes a blade of grass every now and then.

Unfortunate though it is, we cannot control how our actions may be interpreted – either in the near term or distant future.  Spouses of 27 years miscommunicate.  Families are unable to find common ground.  Friends are alienated by misunderstandings.

How then can we expect to confine the interpretation of one’s actions and words to that narrow intent from which they originated?

We can’t.  But you usually get more than one chance so keep trying.

Will we recognize all the opportunities?
Will we take all the chances?
Will we learn from our mistakes?
Which paths will we follow?
Where will those paths lead?
When will we step from one path to another and why?
Does it really matter?

Each choice we make sets us along another dimension of this reality – toward unchartered territory as an individual and a member of the community.

When do your actions influence those of your fellows?

When do they not?

Is it possible to have no influence?  Or, is that called death?

No, not even in death will we have no influence - we will continue to have profound influences for simply having lived.  Having lived, we have altered the course of history.  Imperceptible though that alteration may be today, the compounding ripples of one’s life will continue to resound through the ages in profound, subtle, and untraceable ways.  No wake, no contrail, no footprint, and no memory can define the influence of a lifetime.

Life – it’s a huge responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment